Saturday, November 1, 2008

Favorite Movie: The Big Lebowski

You know what I do? I gravitate towards a favorite movie and stick with it for a year or two. Every two or three months during that period, I watch it. In recent years it's been Pulp Fiction, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. The reigning film right now, and for the past year or so, is The Big Lebowski. I wrote about it before. (Big hat tip to Weer'd for suggesting how I might lighten up the blog).

One time a friend told me she never would read a book a second time or see a movie a second time, since there are so many not yet read or seen. That impressed me, but I do it differently. Books, I read three or four times if I really like them. That's over decades. Movies I can see between 10 and 20 times if they're favorites.

How about you? How do you do it?







5 comments:

  1. I had forgotten how funny that movie is, thanks for posting the clips.

    I might have to rent it this weekend to catch up again.

    I read books over and over again if I like them. There are some books that I'm on my fourth or fifth reading. Some of Heinlein's work especially. Military Sci-Fi is another category where a few series always stay on my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we've talked about this before so you know that this is my favorite all-time movie. I've seen it well over a dozen times and it's just as funny, if not funnier, each time.

    I even grew my hair long this year as I was planning on going to a costume party last night as The Dude, but circumstances intervened. A great Halloween, nonetheless.

    I'm with Bob and you on books. I read my favorites over and over. The Thomas Covenant trilogies (yes...plural) from Stephen Donaldson. The Ender series from Card. The Lord of the Rings. Certain Burke novels from Andrew Vachss. I slip into those like an old, comfortable shirt when I want a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% Agree, Mike. The Big Lebowski is hands-down my favorite Comedy!

    That goes double if you, like me, are a fan of Raymond Chandler and his influences and imitators.

    Great scene selections too! Are those your favorites, or just what you could grab on youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those aren't especially my favorite scenes, although, the more I watch that movie the more I think there's genius in every single scene.

    I recently rented No Country for Old Men and was a little disappointed. I was surprised at that too after all the publicity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,

    I was greatly disappointed in Old Country also. I thought it dragged throughout the most of the movie. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete