Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Incomparable Jay-Z Schools the Young-uns

About the recent Jay-Z interview:

Jay-Z has revealed he shot his brother when he was just 12.

The rap superstar pulled a gun on his drug-addicted older sibling Eric after he discovered he had stolen his ring.
The hip-hop mogul - real name Shawn Carter - decided to get himself a firearm and take revenge.

He told The Guardian Weekend magazine: "I went to someone's crib, someone's house, and got a gun. Guns were everywhere. You didn't have to go far to get one. Just everywhere...

But after the shooting he admits he was fearful about would happen next, he added: "I thought my life was over. I thought I'd go to jail forever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified."

However, Jay-Z's fears never came to anything, because Eric decided not to press charges and instead apologised to his brother for stealing and for being a crack addict.
Now there's social responsibility for ya. The most famous, richest, most revered man in hip-hop telling it like it is about guns in the ghetto.

What's your opinion? Some people focus on the gun and others say we need to focus on the criminals. I say the two are not mutually exclusive. But, what we don't often talk about is crap like this coming from superstars like Shawn Carter who glamorize and glorify guns.

What do you think? Is this a problem?

Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment